Monday, February 2, 2009

Public Sculpture Commission - City of Greater Geelong

Connecting identities is a three year arts project currently underway in the City of Greater Geelong. It aims to create links between the people and places of Geelong, expressing what is important to them. It consists of three main projects - Memory Bank (connecting to our memories of Geelong), Mouth To Mountain (connecting to our land) and M2M (connecting to our songline). Please visit www.geelongaustralia.com.au/connectingidentities for more information and images.

The City of Greater Geelong is divided into twelve Wards. My involvement is to construct a sculpture that 'represents' the Ward of  Kardinia which is mostly the suburb of Belmont and sections of Highton and Grovedale. Another eleven artists are involved each making a sculpture for the other Wards.

How does a sculptural work encompass the depth of history, social complexities and physical environment of an entire suburb? Quite a challenge!

I have met with a representational group of residents from the Ward and from this developed a broader grasp of the sentiment and passion locals have for their home. The idea of Kardinia Ward being home was my strongest impression from the group. I grew up in the Ward and my parents, other family and friends live there and I am also teaching part time at Belmont High School. My own personal attachment to the Ward was also aroused and I am very enthusiastic about this project.

The sculpture needs to be somewhat portable, around one metre in height and has to house a torpedo shaped bottle of water. It will be used in the Mouth To Mountain 24hr event and then exhibited at City Hall and later within the Kardinia Ward.

My working drawings need to be completed by late February 2009 and presented to the working group. They will also be on public display sometime in March. As I begin to make some headway into the project I will post them up on the blog.

Below are some images of the sculpture during its construction. The sculpture is structurally complete but needs painting and detailing.







These are images of the completed sculpture taken in my studio. I will post up some images of the sculpture within the context of the Mouth to Mountain event soon.







No comments:

Post a Comment